- Posted February 5, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl senator: Speed up smuggling cases!
Drilon stressed that slow resolution of these cases is an injustice to the Filipino farmers.
In Malacanang, Presidential Communications Operations Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. has earlier called on the judiciary to act faster on 157 cases of alleged rice smuggling filed in the Court of Appeals since 2010.
"The slow disposition of smuggling related cases only results in smugglers being more brazen in carrying out their illegal activities. The speedy prosecution and resolution of smuggling cases will be the most potent warning against those who seek to violate our laws," the Senate leader said.
Drilon added: "We must show that the wheels of justice are moving vigorously against smugglers."
He said smuggling is hurting the country’s economy and it is also hurting severely the livelihood of poor rural farmers, who spend their entire days toiling under the sun to ensure that we would have food on our table, only to be thwarted by those who engage in rice smuggling.
The Senate chief emphasized that it is important that the three branches of government work hand-in-hand in dealing with the problem of smuggling in the country, and that each of them must be able to move at the same fast pace in order to effectively arrest smuggling and provide justice to the farmers, who are the very victims of these unscrupulous activities.