- Posted February 6, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Rice importer in Manila charged
Customs Commissioner Sunny Sevilla said the cooperative failed to declare the quantity and source country of its rice imports.
In its declaration, the cooperative said the rice shipment was from Thailand when the actual source was Vietnam.
Only the National Food Authority is allowed to import rice from Vietnam.
"I want to inform everybody that the prvate sector is not allowed to import rice from Vitnam," Sevilla said.
He added: "We will win the battle against smuggling case by case... import by import, smuggler by smuggler, we have choice. We’ll get them one by one."
Sevilla also said the bureau has yet to file a case against Davidson Bangayan, the alleged rice smuggling king, because the probe is ongoing.