- Posted February 12, 2014 by
Las Vegas, Nevada
How to Write a Resume That Kicks Robot Butt
An infographic illustrated by Hire Right suggests that approximately 95% of large organizations (almost all Fortune 500 companies) and 50% of mid-size organizations use ATS’s. They also note that ATS’s are able to kick out approximately 75% of resumes. Some of the traditional resume writing rules may not be able to compete with “Mr. Roboto”.
Here are tips to help you whip your resume into shape to kick some robot butt:
• A two page resume is okay. However, your resume should only include information most relevant to the job description. So, don’t beef it up with fluff.
• Use a “Summary of Qualifications” or an “Executive Summary” listing qualifications and skills relative to the position.
• Format your “Professional Experience” as such: employer name first, your position title second, and dates of employment third (include Months & Years). Too often, applicants use outdated templates that still show your dates of employment may be listed on the left. Whether it is a human or a robot that reviews your resume, it is recommended that your dates of employment are noted on the right side of the document.
• Infuse keywords and phrases from the job description throughout your resume.
• Avoid using headers, footers, tables, graphics, colors or logos.
• Avoid using fancy fonts. Stick with Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica or Veranda.
• Regardless of whether you’re submitting your resume to a human or a robot, avoid spelling and grammar errors and use proper punctuation.
• Avoid acronyms. Spell out titles like Certified Professional Accountant for instance rather than noting it is as CPA.
• Avoid uploading your resume as a PDF file as certain software may not be able to read this format.
In order to stand out and beat the competition and kick robot butt, It is important that your resume is optimized to this increasingly popular technology so that you can land interviews. Ideally, you should have multiple versions and multiple formats of your resume customized to each job description and company culture.