- Posted February 17, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Road-sharing scheme in Manila sought
After filing the petition, the group of students then marched to the Senate building in Pasay City to press lawmakers to pass a road-sharing law.
Senator Pia Cayetano expressed her support to the initiative of the group in calling on the government to promote sustainable modes of transportation.
"Road-sharing is being offered as a radical solution to perennial traffic congestion, inefficient mass transport systems and the worsening air pollution in Metro Manila and major urban centers," Cayetano said.
She added: "As a healthy lifestyle advocate and biking enthusiast, I have long supported calls such as this seeking to make our cities walkable and bike-friendly, and the air in our cities breathable for the current and succeeding generations."
Cayetano said the government must develop efficient modes of mass transportation for its growing population through these schemes that would encourage people to avail of these alternatives and be less dependent on cars, which contribute to pollution and traffic.
"Those who claim that road-sharing is impractical and impossible to enforce should look at the successful examples of Amsterdam (The Netherlands), Copenhagen (Denmark) and Venice (Italy), which are considered among the world's most walkable and bike-friendly cities," the lady senator pointed out.
Cayetano is the principal author of Senate Bill No.26, the Sustainable Transportation Act, which mandates alternative and sustainable modes of transportation in order to reduce greenhouse emissions, promote efficiency in public transport systems, and encourage citizens to adopt a healthy lifestyle.