- Posted February 21, 2014 by
- “Halting the Activities of RMG is a Serious Issue for the Entire Country”
- “RMG’s Openness to Conduct an Ecological Audit is Quite Welcomed”
- “RMG” Answers Allegations Posed by the National Party
- The Problems That RMG GOLD’s Suspension Has Created For The Bolnisi Population
- UNESCO Has Given No Specific Advice on Sakdrisi and will Not Be Monitoring It
Young Barristers Discuss Legal Sides of the Khudoni HPP Project
The cofounder and lead of the Young Barristers, Archil Kaikaitsishvili, noted that society is generally ill-informed of the details on the Khudoni HPP project and its legal side in particular, which is often overlooked in public disputes. And since the project’s implementation will have significant legal repercussions, this conference carried an informative nature and welcomed a discussion by the end.
Specific matters discussed included the exact calculation of the number of villagers facing relocation (769 individuals in total from 8 settlements), the various compensation options (which include either financial or property indemnities, or both). Special attention was devoted to showcasing the financial benefits of the project, exploring risks and challenges, and discussing culturally sensitive topics like the cemetery present in the village which is facing the bulk of the flooding.
The legal analysis of the Khudoni HPP project is a lengthy research effort of the Young Barristers, and many more meetings are planned with municipality leaderships and local populations along with a conference in Mestia, all before a conclusive recommendation packet due in April.