- Posted February 23, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Philippine senator: Raise teachers’ pay
”This is recognition of the essential role of teachers as the prime movers of the education system,” Trillanes said in Senate Bill 487.
Under the present Salary Standardization Law, a public school teacher with Salary Grade 11 receives a monthly pay of P18,549.
“Public school teachers are considered the most underpaid and overworked professionals in the society. Their low compensation belies the vital role they play in molding our youth,” the senator lamented.
Trillanes said the Department of Education (DepEd) shall be tasked to create a specific programmed budget needed to cover the expenses for the upgrading in salary levels for all the corresponding teacher plantilla positions over a period of three years.
The Department of Budget and Management (DBM), he added, will be allowed to make the necessary budgetary adjustments to facilitate the smooth implementation of this Act.
Trillanes said the measure fulfills the mandate of our Constitution for the government to ‘assign the highest budgetary priority to education and ensure that teaching will attract and retain its rightful share of the best available talents through adequate remuneration,” the lawmaker said.
”We hope that the immediate passage of this bill will boost the morale of, and provide more vigor to our teachers to further assist the government in enhancing the quality of education in our country,” he added.
Trillanes co-authored the Salary Standardization Law 3.