- Posted February 23, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Philippines takes care of orphans
Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said this as the agency’s celebration of Adoption Consciousness Week came to a close.
Coloma said the DSWD was following the principle of looking after the welfare and human rights of orphaned children put up for adoption.
“Whether they have been orphaned or have lost relatives to take care of them, it is still necessary to ensure that they are protected by the laws, taken cared of and led away from harm,” Coloma said.
The communications chief stressed the importance of looking after orphaned children since they are the most susceptible to human trafficking.
“If this is not done strictly or not kept track of this could allow those engaged in human trafficking to take advantage of them,” he added.
Coloma said that the DSWD will also continue to push for a legal adoption process for orphaned children, in accordance with existing laws.