- Posted February 24, 2014 by
Deadly attack before Elections 2014
Yesterday's attack began in the morning when dozens of militants, some of them foreigners, converged on an army checkpoint in the mountainous Kunar province, Afghan officials said.
The insurgents outnumbered the government troops and were also possibly helped by a Taliban sympathiser inside the base, officials said. The scale of the onslaught gave most of the soldiers little chance and several were shot in their sleep, a source said.
Fighting to recapture the base continued into afternoon; reinforcements sent to the area were ambushed by a suicide bomber but none of them were killed, the defence ministry said. Officials said the bodies of the 21 soldiers would be returned to their families on Monday, and the search would continue for those believed to be held captive.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in a text message, saying that only one insurgent had been killed and two others injured. The militants had collected weapons abandoned by the troops a spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said.