- Posted February 28, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Explosion kills 2 Filipinos in Qatar
Two other Filipinos sustained head injuries from the blast but are now in stable condition, said Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez at a press briefing.
The Filipino victims are merchandisers at a supermarket inside a mall adjacent to the restaurant. They were in one of the establishments in that vicinity when an explosion of unknown cause happened Thursday.
Relatives of the victims who died have already been informed of the fate of their loved ones, he said.
“We hope to repatriate the remains as soon as possible,” Hernandez said.
The Philippine government will assist the families in claiming employment benefits of their dead relatives and the repatriation of their remains, he added.
Hernandez also said the respective sponsors or employers of the Filipino fatalities assured the Philippine Embassy officials that they will shoulder all expenses related to treatment or repatriation of remains.
The family of one of the fatalities who is an Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) member may also claim benefits from that agency, he said.
Qatar is home to around 185,000 Filipinos, mostly working as household service workers, semi- or low-skilled workers, and professionals