- Posted February 28, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Electric billing confuses Manila consumers
On Thursday, the DTI-CPG summoned the executives of the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) and Meralco over the confusing February billing statement, which included the power rate hike that was temporarily stopped by the Supreme Court.
During a press briefing on Friday, Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said the DTI-CPG has asked Meralco to conduct information dissemination activities so as to avoid confusion among its consumers.
“They had stated to Meralco to conduct information dissemination activities for consumers to understand the latest billing statement it has issued in order to clarify the confusion among the public as to the difference between the ‘amount due’, as well as the ‘total amount due,’” Valte said.
She added: “So it was clarified that the subscribers need not pay the amount described as ‘deferred,’ pending resolution of the Supreme Court TRO, and please pay in accordance with the SC TRO. So these amounts apparently were included in the billing for purposes of being transparent to its subscribers who are affected by the pending resolution of the Supreme Court.”
Valte also said the DTI-CPG will be monitoring the compliance of Meralco on its commitment. She further said that the ERC will continue its investigation on Meralco, and has also asked the power utility to explain in five days its new electric billing.