- Posted March 1, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl to revive Haiyan-damaged coco industry
This was revealed by PCA National Administrator Euclides Forbes who was in Tacloban City on Thursday.
Forbes said this is in response to the regional office’s call for additional chainsaw to hasten the cutting of the fallen coconut trees to avoid rhino beetles that may develop because of the situation.
Administrator Forbes said that these chainsaw will be used in the Yolanda stricken areas to expedite the recovery of the coconut industry first by clearing operations.
Aside from chainsaw, PCA is also producing green muscardine fungus in preparation for the onslaught of rhinoceros beetle.
Forbes acknowledged that despite a handful of chainsaw this will not suffice for the more than 13 million fallen trees thus the need for the fungus.
Forbes said that the fungus will mummify the beetles. Green muscardine fungus is a common insect pathogen. It can decimate cultures of rice planthoppers, leafhoppers and beetles.
According to former regional director of PCA Edilberto Nierva, Region 8 depends largely on coconut industry the reason why the need for the immediate recovery of the industry.
Almost 20,000 coconut farmers in the region were displaced due to Yolanda’s devastation.