- Posted March 3, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl to reorganize department
Under Senate Bill 2144, the DOTC shall be tasked to matters pertaining to transportation sector and shall be known as the Department of Transportation, while the DICT shall be tasked to ensure the provision of a strategic, reliable, cost-efficient, and 'citizen-centric' information and communications technology infrastructure, systems and resources as instruments of nation-building and global competitiveness.
"The development of communications technology, particularly the internet, has evolved rapidly that we can ill-afford to be left behind as a nation. For better or worse, the internet has changed the playing field and it is imperative upon the state to ensure the country's competitiveness in a globalized environment," Guingona said.
He also said the government is mandated by law under the constitution to recognize the vital role of communications and information in nation-building.
Under the proposed measure, the DICT shall have its own Secretary that will be appointed by the President. All operating units of the DOTC with functions and responsibilities dealing with communications shall be transferred to the DICT.
"Having a department that would exclusively focus on issues relating information and communications technology (ICT) has become a vital need inasmuch as the internet has become an indispensable tool in bringing people together. As a growing industry, we need to ensure that ICT is regulated and that it will benefit the general public," he said.