- Posted March 3, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
175 Filipinos trapped in Ukraine
Labor Secretary Rosalinda Dimapilis-Baldoz said that in as much as the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has not recommended voluntary or mandatory repatriation, OFWs in that country should stay calm and remain at home.
Baldoz issued the advice after the Eastern European country that borders Russia on the east and northeast was rocked by civil disturbance in recent weeks that led to a new government.
The DFA has strongly advised all Filipinos in Ukraine to communicate with the Philippine Embassy in Moscow (the country has no embassy in Kiev, Ukraine's capital, but has an honorary consul there) and inform the Embassy of their whereabouts and their current condition.
The DOLE also encouraged Filipinos in Ukraine to contact their families in the Philippines and apprise them of their situation.
Baldoz also said that Filipinos wanting to return to the Philippines should contact the Philippine Embassy.
The DOLE chief said only 115 OFWs were deployed to Ukraine in 2013 and 57 in 2012, or a total of 175. Most of the OFWs deployed were administrative and managerial workers (41) while 30 are service workers.
Baldoz said the DOLE is in close contact with the DFA in monitoring the situation in Ukraine.