Share this on:
 E-mail
22
VIEWS
0
COMMENTS
 
SHARES
About this iReport
  • Not verified by CNN

  • Click to view omeroscar's profile
    Posted March 5, 2014 by
    omeroscar
    Location
    Manila

    More from omeroscar

    Filipino returns home dead

     

    CHARLIE Closa de Castro, 29, went out of the country to work as merchandiser at a Turkish restaurant in Doha, Qatar to support his family in the Philippines. But on Wednesday afternoon he returned home dead.
    The body of De Castro, who died in a gas explosion in Doha, Qatar last month, arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 via Qatar Airways flight QR-926.
    The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) desk at NAIA Terminal 1 said
    a relative of De Castro identified as one Rico de Castro escorted the victim’s body all the way from Doha.
    On instructions of Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Secretary Rosalinda Dimapilis-Baldoz, the OWWA in NAIA extended full assistance to the family of De Castro upon arrival at the airport.
    Welfare Administrator Carmelita Dimzon also instructed OWWA Region IV-A officials to visit the family of the victim to extend condolences and provide counseling.
    Dimzon assured the victim’s family of assistance from OWWA that included Death Benefits and Education and Livelihood Assistance Program.
    A native of Batangas, De Castro is survived by his mother, sister, and brother.
    The overseas Filipino worker (OFW) was one of the 12 fatalities in the accidental gas explosion in in Doha, Qatar last Feb. 27. Another Filipino and two children were also among those who perished in the incident.
    More than 30 others were injured in the blast.
    Reports said a fire occurred after the blast. A part of the building collapsed.
    The explosion was so strong that it blew cars parked outside the restaurant. Witnesses said shrapnel were also scattered some 50 to 100 meters from the blast site.
    Qatari officials said the Feb. 27 incident was the deadliest next to the May 2012 shopping mall fire wherein 19 foreign nationals, including 13 children, were killed.

    What do you think of this story?

    Select one of the options below. Your feedback will help tell CNN producers what to do with this iReport. If you'd like, you can explain your choice in the comments below.
    Be and editor! Choose an option below:
      Awesome! Put this on TV! Almost! Needs work. This submission violates iReport's community guidelines.

    Comments

    Log in to comment

    iReport welcomes a lively discussion, so comments on iReports are not pre-screened before they post. See the iReport community guidelines for details about content that is not welcome on iReport.

    Add your Story Add your Story