- Posted March 9, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Packaging dates for fresh food in Phl sought
Rep. Estrellita Suansing of Nueva Ecija Province has filed House Bill 3708 or the "Retail Food Store Notice of Date Packaging Act," which seeks to protect consumers from deceptive, unfair and unconscionable sales acts and practices.
Under the bill, all retail food stores that offer for sale fresh or processed meats, poultry or seafood shall conspicuously post a sign clearly visible to any consumer inspecting such product.
The sign shall be printed with lettering that is legible and shall be three-fourths of an inch boldface type.
The notice shall bear the right of consumers to know where and when a given food product was cut and packaged.
In addition, the notice shall give information on store practices in relation to the date marked on the product and the assistance the store will provide relating to any question on the product.
Suangsing cited the provision of Republic Act 7394, otherwise known as the "Consumer Act of the Philippines," to protect the interest of the consumer, promote his general welfare and to establish standards of conduct for business and industry.
"The State is mandated to promote the general welfare of the people and protect their health whenever they purchase fresh or processed meat, seafood or poultry from retail food store," Suansing said.