- Posted March 10, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Manila grants Filipino kids’ wishes
School supplies, shoes, clothes, bicycles and toys, among others, were distributed to them at the city’s Convention Center. The goods were based on the wish lists they had written on star-shaped papers during their Christmas Party last,” DSWD said in a statement.
The children were chosen as beneficiaries since they come from far-flung areas hardly reached by various kinds of assistance. The star-shaped papers were displayed at the DSWD Central Office during the 63rd Anniversary of the Department in January. Around 98 DSWD employees took interest of the kids’ wishes and sponsored some of the gifts.
DSWD reported that philanthropist Manuel Chua of Tulay Foundation offered P1 million for the children’s gifts. Judy Chua of the same foundation flew to Tacloban City to join the gift distribution. She related how they came up with the idea of how to spend their donation.
“DSWD Secretary Corazon Juliano-Soliman showed us the wish lists of the children and told us that she wants these fulfilled. Hence, we decided to spend our cash donation for the children’s wishes,” Chua recounted.
The children and their parents were delighted of their gifts.
Nilo Cinco, 9, from Village 101 who received a bicycle expressed said: “Thank you very much. I will ride the bike in going to school.”
Leonesa Lucion, 37, from Village 103 whose daughter, Angelica, received clothes said: “I am grateful that my daughter’s wish came true.”