- Posted March 10, 2014 by
- Army troop leads celebration of World Indigenous Peoples day in gigantic tree planting March
- *Birds are coming back after a decade of greening program
- *51 months after the Maguindanao Massacre: Grave site complex will turn into economic zone for banana export , one more suspect arrested
- Rebels attack police post in Philippines, kills two
* 11 killed in rebel assault in Philippines ,Army condemns NPA using landmines,By Ferdinandh Cabrera
In a statement sent by 1002nd Infantry Brigade, Colonel Marcos Norman Flores Jr. describe todays series of attacks as NPA’s barbaric and brutal acts.
“We condemn to the highest degree the attack against the Matanao MPS and the landmining of the government troops as the NPA’s way of celebrating their years of deceitful existence. Despite our prayer for peace and our unified call to ban the use of landmines by the NPA, the rebels continuously and deliberately violates the Comprehensive Agreement on Respect for Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law (CARHRIHL) as they continue to use these illegal explosives and landmines against our troops and civilians,” he said.
A series of encounter that started dawn this morning between government forces and New People’s Army (NPA) in Matanao, Davao del Sur has resulted to the killing of seven soldiers, three policemen and two NPA rebels.
Nine others were wounded from the government side (2 PNP and 7 Army soldiers).
At least 50 NPA striking force from Front 72 under Felix Armodia alias Jing, boarded on three vehicles and assailed a local police station of Matan-ao town around 4:30 AM and pounded the police force with burst of gunfires.
Two policemen were killed but despite outnumbered they were able to defend their position and prevented the rebels to steal firearms from their armory, the report said.
The fatalities were identified as SPO3 Manolo Booc and SPO3 Danny Mualong.
The Maoist-inspired NPA rebels has disguised in army camouflage uniforms, utilized one jeepney, one forward and one elf truck.
Military insists, NPA suffered heavier casualties as evidenced by the bloodstains in their attack positions.
Around 5:00am, another group of NPA, still under Armodia attacked Army Detachment in Barangay Donganpekong, Matanao, but failed to inflict damage.
The 39th Infantry Battalion initiated pursuit operation and it resulted to the apprehension of nine suspected NPA rebels in Sitio Tagaytay, Barangay Savoy of same town.
The suspected NPA members were turned over to Matanao police for investigation.
Minutes after the apprehension, another encounter ensued in the same sitio involving the pursuing troops and the NPA that resulted to two NPA rebels killed.
At about 9am, reinforcing troops of 39th IB under 2Lt Lodivico Alejo were landmined at Sitio Lahak, Barangay Asbang, Matanao resulting to seven Army personnel killed and wounding of 7 others.
Reports said, at least 18 army personnnel were boarded on a 10 wheeler army truck and was chasing a number of rebels but while on their way, a landmine exploded and followed by a burst of gunfires.
Radio reports from Davao City identified the falities as PFC Rey Alilaya, Cpl. Ameher Sedani, Cpl. Wilfredo Baninsala, Cpl. Rodel Lamsomn, PFC Clyde Dayaday, certain PFC Johhny and another one who is not yet identified since the family were not informed yet.
A young army officer was reported killed but his name has not yet revealed nor confirmed by military sources.
Just last week, 16 persons, including 11 soldiers and five civilians, were hurt in a landmine explosion on Sunday night that hit a convoy of ambulances in the nearby Bansalan town of the same province.
The landmine was allegedly planted by communist New People’s Army (NPA) guerrillas operating in the area but it failed to hit the target, instead it banged a Red Cross ambulance and another government rescue ambulance.
The NPA has issued an apology for the miscalculated attack but reminded responding rescuers not to tail government soldiers truck and put sirens to be identified as medical rescuers.
At the moment,Hot pursuit operation against the rebels is continuining in Davao del Sur province.END.