- Posted March 11, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl intensifies employment efforts
Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said NEDA Director General Arsenio Balisacan stated that according to the Philippine Statistics Authority, the unemployment rate went up to 7.5 percent in January 2014 compared to 7.1 percent a year ago.
Coloma explained that this is because the labor force grew by 1.2 percent during the said period, faster than the total 283,000 jobs generated which increased by 0.8 percent year-on-year.
Because of this, the PCOO chief said the government will implement strategies to intensify employment generation efforts -- first, by promoting employment opportunities in places of refuge.
“We will take note that those dislocated were part of a migration wave from places of calamity to places of refuge or to the towns and provinces adjacent to the disaster areas,” Coloma said.
Second, the government will also facilitate employability by assisting job applicants in reconstructing pre-employment documents.
“The number of those affected...have a hard time producing usual requirements asked by employers such as birth certificate and transcript of records,” Coloma said.
“These are practical requirements that add to the employability of job seekers,” he added.