- Posted March 11, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Philippine gov’t supports FOI bill
Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. in a text message sent to reporters expressed support for the enactment of the bill sponsored by Senator Grace Poe.
“We support the Senate’s enactment of the FOI bill as it substantially incorporates the draft we submitted to its committee on public information,” Coloma said.
“We affirm the importance of applying the principles of freedom of information as these constitute the essential foundations of good governance,” he added.
Poe, chairperson of the public information committee said the current version passed by the chamber is stronger than the ones approved in the past.
One of the notable provisions in the bill requires the public disclosure of Statements of Assets, Liabilities and Net Worth (SALNs) of national and local government officials.
At present, the counterpart FOI bill at the House of Representatives is pending at the committee level.