- Posted March 11, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Release of Phl veterans' benefits sought
"Republic Act 7696 was enacted in recognition of the relevant role our war veterans and military retirees played in protecting the country,” Trillanes said.
However, he said, a number of them have died without enjoying the benefits due to lack of government funding because it was not specified under the law.
Trillanes also said the government appropriated an amount of P170 million in 2010, and P2.9 billion in 2013 for the payment of the Total Administrative Disability pension of World War II veterans who are aged 80 and above.
However, the senator added, the scope of the said appropriations was not able to cover all the veterans, and the amount was not enough to cover the total government obligation.
Under SBN 166, the said arrears shall be paid through the proceeds from the development, lease, or other use of government properties. Under this set-up, the national government will be able to accomplish its constitutional mandate of providing assistance to said beneficiaries without affecting the national budget.
"There are still many things that can be done to uplift the status of our veterans; majority of whom are now elderly, sick, underprivileged, disabled, and poor. They receive very small pensions, and little benefits and medical assistance. I believe they deserve to be respected and appreciated for what they have done in honor of our country. This recognition should be equated with a responsive and a continuing set of programs and projects for the care, benefits and welfare of our veterans," Trillanes explained.