- Posted March 13, 2014 by
- Statement by the RMG Company Regarding the Start of Mining Operations on the Sakdrissi-Kachagiani License Site #1
- Dmitry Troitsky: “We Will Only Carry Out Whatever We Have Official Permission For”
- “Halting the Activities of RMG is a Serious Issue for the Entire Country”
- “RMG’s Openness to Conduct an Ecological Audit is Quite Welcomed”
- “RMG” Answers Allegations Posed by the National Party
PM Irakli Garibashvili: “I Want the Population to Realize the Full Importance of Khudoni HPP”
“We should not confuse the population about the gigantic dam destroying Svanetian culture. No one is planning on destroying it – Svaneti is not facing this type of danger,” stated Garibashvili when asked about the project’s influence on the region’s environment. “I’ll be the first defender of Svaneti’s culture, I’ll be one of the first to defend diversity – but you have incorrect information. We must take every citizen’s stance and opinion into account, never will the government make decisions against the will of our residents. Opinionated parties have to be correlated, we must adequately explain what the project’s construction will mean to the country, to its development and energy independence. And if after all this they still oppose the plant construction and are backed with strong arguments, I will absolutely take it into account.”
The PM noted that current arguments regarding the project’s negative effects on the environment were loose and aimed at misinforming the listeners, and that researches and facts from people competent in these matters hold priority.
“The investor company, the Ministry of Energy, they’re also bound to address these questions along with us, the government. I’m personally motivated and not at all disinterested in this issue, it’s quite the opposite. I never do and have never done anything against our population,” concluded Garibashvili.