- Posted March 16, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl vows military hardware for AFP
The President made the assurance in his message during the commencement exercises of the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) in Baguio City.
The President said the government knows the needs of the soldiers and it is doing everything to improve their conditions.
Among the major thrusts of the Aquino administration is to give members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) the weapons and tools they need to be more effective.
Aquino said the bidding for the purchase of two new twin-engine naval anti-submarine helicopters has started.
The military is also replacing Vietnam War-era rifles with the acquisition of 63,000 assault rifles for the soldiers in the next few months, he said.
The government is also ready to buy 12 lead-in fighter trainer aircraft from South Korea that will be used for the country's territorial defense operations.
Prior to this, the military has bought modern ships for sea patrols, eight Sokol combat utility helicopters, three Navy helicopters, and other new military vehicles, he added. He also said that the government targets to buy eight additional combat utility helicopters that will be used for search and rescue and disaster-relief missions before he steps down from the presidency.
Aside from modernizing the military, the administration has programs for soldiers such as housing and livelihood, the chief executive said.