- Posted March 16, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl, US to share defense facilities
A government official on Sunday emphasized that the granting of access to US military shall respect the Philippines’ sovereignty amid issues raised by different quarters on the enhanced defense cooperation between the two countries.
Citing the statements already made by representatives of the Philippine negotiating panel at the end of the sixth round of talks held last week, Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. assured that such will be the case once the agreement is finalized.
“The proposed agreement will allow the sharing of defined areas within certain AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) facilities with elements of the US military on a rotational basis within parameters consistent with the Philippine Constitution and laws,” Coloma said.
He said the fresh round of talks has clearly shown the shared commitment of both parties to enhance cooperation in defense, security and related fields, including humanitarian assistance and disaster response.
At the instance of the Philippine panel, the United States panel agreed to the inclusion of provisions on environment and safety, and opportunities for potential Philippine suppliers of goods, products and services,” Coloma said.
He also said the aspects of humanitarian assistance and disaster response in this agreement are significant given the country’s experiences during the onslaught of killer typhoon "Yolanda" (Haiyan) last year.