- Posted March 17, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl to acquire anti-submarine choppers
This was confirmed by DND undersecretary for finance, modernization, installations, and munitions Fernando Manalo in a message to the state-run Philippines News Agency (PNA) Monday.
"The ASW helicopters are part of the projects included in the list of the AFP Modernization Program. The project is for implementation," Manalo said.
He said the budget for acquiring the two ASW helicopters is placed at P5.4 billion and the acquisition process for the aircraft is expected to be completed by this year.
The PN earlier announced that it is looking at the possibility of acquiring the AW-159 "Wildcat" as its ASW helicopters.
The Navy is in the market for two ASW helicopters.
This is part of the country's Medium Term Defense Acquisition List for the next four years.
The ASW choppers will be assigned to the BRP Gregorio Del Pilar (PF-15) and BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PF-16).
The AW-159 (previously called the Future Lynx and Lynx Wildcat) is an improved version of the Westland Super Lynx military helicopter.
The AW-159 will serve in the battlefield utility, search and rescue and anti-surface warfare roles.