- Posted March 20, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
‘Filipinos die due to inferior steel products’
“Hundreds of lives were lost because of substandard and inferior steel products used in houses and other infrastructure,” Sen. Bam Aquino said.
Aquino, who witnessed the devastation caused by the earthquake in a recent trip to affected areas, filed a resolution seeking to investigate alleged proliferation of uncertified, substandard and smuggled steel products in the country.
"During my visit, I saw two houses just several meters apart. One was completely destroyed and the other was still standing after the earthquake," he said.
He said selling substandard steel is a question of greed and a question of corruption. “That’s why we need to investigate this before we lose hundreds of life to another earthquake or devastation, God forbid,” Aquino stressed.
Backing up his claim, Aquino mentioned a report by the Philippine Iron and Steel Institute (PISI) in the aftermath of the disastrous earthquake that inflicted severe damage in the provinces of Bohol and Cebu.
Aquino said a technical team deployed by PISI discovered that there was widespread use of substandard bars and angle bars in the construction of residential houses and public structures such as public markets and bridges.