- Posted March 22, 2014 by
The Abney Foundation: About Us
The Abney Foundation, established in 1957 by Susie Mathews Abney, is a private foundation located in Anderson, SC.
The mission of The Abney Foundation is to aid organizations that are operated exclusively for educational, religious, charitable, scientific, and literary purposes. The highest priority is placed on higher education.
· Who We Are - Trustees, Officers & Staff
The Abney Foundation is a private foundation, founded in 1957, with offices at 100 Vine Street in Anderson, South Carolina. The Foundation is governed by six trustees.
The Abney Foundation was originally formed in 1957 by Mrs. Susie Mathews Abney, widow of Mr. John Pope Abney, the founder of Abney Mills in Greenwood, SC. At that time, five trustees, including Mrs. Abney, were appointed to govern the trust. The principal office was located in Greenwood, SC. At her death in 1969, Mrs. Abney left a sizeable bequest to The Abney Foundation.
· Our Founder
SUSIE MATHEWS ABNEY was the widow of John Pope Abney, the founder of Abney Mills. Mr. Abney died in 1942, and so Mrs. Abney survived her husband by more than 26 years. Although she preferred to remain in the background where business affairs were concerned, Mrs. Abney, following the death of her husband, nevertheless exercised a strong and benevolent influence over the subsequent development and expansion of Abney Mills from an organization of five textile mills to the large company of 15 plants it is today (at the time of printing, March 1969). See PDF File here