- Posted March 28, 2014 by
Oculus Rift Competitor By True Player Gear Has Been Announced
* 1080p low-persistence OLED screen
* 90 degrees FOV
* Head and body tracking
* Compatible with PC, PS3/4, Xbox One/360
* Hardware-accelerated pre-lens distortion
* Hardware-accelerated motion tracking
* Onboard cameras for positional tracking (WIP)
* Expansion port for makers
* Surround sound via standard headphones
* Individual focus per eye for long and short sided users
* Oversized lenses for clearer text
The cameras are a nice touch, as that makes it possible to use this piece of kit for AR in addition to VR. It'd be nice to switch to camera view if someone walks into my room or if I want to reach for some food/drink. I'd rather not be constantly pulling the Oculus up and down while trying to game.
I like the exterior design. Overall it looks polished and the smiling face is a friendly touch as it distracts from the fact the user is "hiding away" behind the "mask". However, it will be interesting to see whether this is vaporware or if gets to market. If it does, I hope it gets some traction as it would be nice to see strong competition in the VR market.
For more technology news, product reviews, life tips and advice, check out http://superblog.co/