- Posted April 3, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Philippines prepares for future disasters
Secretary Corazon Soliman of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) explained that they have formulated ways to enhance the response and relief efforts of the government based on the “big lessons” learned from “Yolanda” that hit the country in November last year.
“Aside from the need to preposition higher volume of family food packs, we also see the need for more logistics support such as trucks, ships, smaller vehicles that can safely and immediately transport relief goods in the event that a similar disaster occurs in the future,” Soliman said.
She said inadequate transport equipment had contributed to the slow relief goods distribution to the areas affected by the disaster last November. She said that the lack of enough transport facilities hampered the immediate delivery of relief goods from one hub to another or from DSWD’s warehouses to the affected areas.
Soliman also said the unusually big quantity of debris left by the typhoon aggravated the distribution problem, aside from the bad weather condition that in some cases caused some relief goods to get wet.
“As a lesson learned during close assessment, we see that equipment such as chain saws should be made available to enable the local government units (LGUs) or the response teams to clear all the hampering debris brought about by typhoon,” she concluded.