- Posted April 4, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Charged Phl senators in regular jail?
Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda raised the issue after Sen. Miriam Santiago proposed to place the three senators in a regular jail when detained.
“Once the resolution is filed before them (graft court) there will be a determination of probable cause and...if they find that there’s a probable cause they will issue the warrant of arrest,” Lacierda said.
The government official, meanwhile, expressed hope that the graft court will take the matter of placing them in a regular jail into consideration.
“It may be up for their disposition as well so we do not wish to make comment on that. It’s all up to them,” Lacierda said.
“Whatever the graft court will decide on, the Executive Branch will just enforce,” he added.
When asked if the senators will be given any kind of special treatment, Lacierda maintained that is for the courts to decide and not the Executive.
“Anything in respect of venue, detention, these are within the jurisdiction of the graft court,” he said.
“So, whatever motions the lawyers for the accused will file, will be filed not with the Executive Branch but with the Sandiganbayan, with the Judicial branch,” he added.
Charged with plunder are Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon “Bong” Revilla.