- Posted April 5, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl lawmaker: Hazard pay for risky jobs
Under House Bill 3991, Rep. Rufus Rodriguez of Cagayan de Oro City said these government workers will be entitled to hazard pay regardless of their employment status.
"These government workers are facing the risk and danger while doing their jobs every day," Rodriguez said.
Rodriguez cited several cases of traffic aides who were manhandled by abusive motorists. He said garbage collectors and street sweepers are also facing the risk and danger to their health and safety.
"The street sweepers are risking their lives while doing their routine job in main thoroughfares like EDSA, Quezon Avenud and Commonwealth Avenue, which is known as the killer highway," Rodriguez said.
He said as people go about their daily lives, seldom do they stop to think about the persons who collects garbage, or the one who directs traffic on the streets, that is until the garbage piles up or the traffic grinds to a halt.
Rodriguez said these government workers are providing the citizenry with various kinds of services that make the lives of the Filipinos less stressful and more enjoyable.
"If only to show our gratitude to these selfless government employees, it is but just to compensate them for the dangers and risks their work exposes them to by providing them hazard pay," the lawmaker concluded.