- Posted April 6, 2014 by
Palos Verdes Estates, California
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Your favorite libraries
Malaga Cove Library
The building and grounds are essentially unchanged in appearance and use since the library was first opened to the public in 1930. The building architect was Myron Hunt, who is also known for his work on the Rose Bowl and the Pasadena Public Library. He designed the library building in the Mediterranean Revival architectural style. The landscape architects for the surrounding grounds were the Olmsted Brothers, who were the sons of Frederick Law Olmsted, the co-designer of Central Park. The floor plan of the building was designed to provide the community of Palos Verdes with both a library and social center.
The library building has five stories, with a broad central staircase connecting all five levels. The top story is a tower room surrounded by a balcony that overlooks the adjoining park areas, the nearby community, and the Pacific Ocean. The library was added to the National and State Registers of historic buildings in 1996.
The large multi-level fountain (see the second photo) located at the front of the library catches children’s attention and makes them excited to see more. In the library, many of the original hand carved walnut tables, chairs, and couches are still in place. The reading rooms have high, open-beam ceilings and large, deeply recessed windows that bring in natural light. There is even a pine-paneled fireplace in the children’s area! The old-fashioned, comfortable atmosphere of the library is the perfect place to introduce children to the wonders of reading.