- Posted April 8, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl senator: Pin down journalist’s killers!
“I strongly condemn the senseless, heinous murder of fearless journalist Ruby Garcia and the ignominy of gunning her down at her home and in full view of her granddaughter,” Poe said.
Garcia, 52, a reporter of the daily tabloid Remate, was gunned down by two men in front of her 10-year old granddaughter and sister-in-law at her home in Bacoor City, Cavite. She died in a hospital a few hours later.
Police said Garcia's attackers did not hide their identities when they barged into the victim's home at past 10 a.m. on Sunday.
Garcia was the publisher of the Pilipino Times and a member of the National Press Club of the Philippines.
She was also president of a newly formed group of journalists in the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) called the Confederation of Active Media Practitioners Organization.
Police said they are looking at politicians and policemen as possible masterminds of Garcia's murder.
Sunday's slaying is the 20th among Filipino journalists killed since 2010 when President Benigno Aquino III came to power. It is the 160th fatal attack on a media practitioner since 1986, when democracy was restored in the country.
“We press for the timely resolution of cases of violence against journalists to serve as a stern warning to all in pursuit of justice, freedom of speech, and democracy,” Poe concluded.