- Posted April 8, 2014 by
St Kilda, Australia
- Mickey Rooney - A Legend Meets His Maker
- Eben Pagan "Accelerate 2014". How Many Millionaires Will Eben Have Created In 2 Months? Let's Find Out!
- Bill Shock. When does 1.2MB = 2MB? When Some Telco's Calculate Your Data.
- Millions of Aussie Smokers revolt against the price of smokes. Or they would if they were allowed to.
- 2014 Chinese New Year predictions will suit Internet Marketers
Mickey Rooney - A Legend Meets His Maker in 2014
Whether Mickey Rooney was a believer or not for many is irrelevant. His initial impression he left on me 40 years ago has never left and today I'm happy he's at peace. And grateful for his screen prowess. Those wonderful movies.
45 years to the day after he was born I arrived on the scene. I didn't realise we shared the same birthday until today. As a young boy starting at a new Christian Brothers College, class time used up watching Boys Town was a highlight. By the end of the year it was probably as close as a few of us ever got to a religious experience.
Every film I then saw Rooney in was inevitably compared to Boys Town. And inevitably none surpassed it.
His life outside film never affected me though. His eight marriages totally understandable in my eyes, especially in the context of his career. How was he ever going to stay in one place while amassing well over 300 film credits in a career that lasted 8 decades and... saw him acting into his 93rd year?
Mickey was possibly the last of those golden era actors and ushers out that dynasty. The era that, along with Brando's Wild One gave me my favorite early childhood film.
We'll miss you Mickey. Thanks for the memories.