- Posted April 10, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Cop behind Filipino journalist’s murder?
Condemning the recent killing of Garcia of the daily tabloid Remate, Pimentel said the attacks against members of the media have no place in a free and democratic country.
The senator, who is also the chairman of the Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights, likewise sought speedy resolution of the crime which was committed broad daylight inside the home of the slain reporter in Bacoor City in the province of Cavite.
"I strongly condemned this latest brazen attack against a member of the media. I ask the PNP to spare no one in solving this case," said Pimentel.
He said police authorities should exert extra efforts to solve attacks against journalists, lawyers, environmentalists and activists, noting that the recent killing of a prominent Cebu lawyer and his two companions has remained unsolved.
Garcia is the 20th journalist killed since President Benigno Aquino III took power in 2010 and the 160th since 1986.
Members of the National Press Club in Manila on Monday will march to Malacanang Palace to protest the killing of Garcia.