- Posted April 11, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl lawmaker: Divorce a speculation!
This clarification was issued Friday by Speaker Feliciano Belmonte, Jr. following reports that bills on divorce and abortion as well as on gay marriage are hanging in the offing.
“While a Divorce Bill has been indeed filed, my personal views on the issue as well as those of my colleagues will be irrelevant at this point because like any measure filed, it will have to go through the regular legislative process,” Belmonte pointed out.
He said that thorough studies, committee and possible public hearings will still be held before the bill reaches final congressional approval.
Belmonte also clarified that it is not a legislative priority as there are vital pending measures that need attention including the Bangsamoro, the proposal to revise economic provisions in Philippine Constitution and even the Freedom on Information Bill as well as other measures that need to be addressed mostly aimed at moving the country ahead and affording the people with a better quality of life.
“We continue to be responsive to the needs of the majority of our people, craft these measures accordingly but prioritize them based on urgency as well,” the Speaker further stressed.
He said the idea of having an abortion bill is very far-fetched and involves playing God to the unborn which is a role we will not play. It also runs counter to our principle of aiming to improve the lives of our people. It is not and cannot ever be in our agenda.