- Posted April 22, 2014 by
Phl scam queen as state witness?
THE Department of Justice in Manila revealed Tuesday that it will submit to the Office of the Ombudsman the official statement of Janet Lim-Napoles to decide whether deserves to be state witness to the P10-billion pork barrel scam or not.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima told reporters in press briefing that she was able to get hold of the statement of Napoles after talking to her for more than five hours in a hospital in Makati City, where she’s scheduled to undergo a major operation.
“After giving me her consent, I went to the hospital in the evening of Easter Sunday,” De Lima said. “Our talk began at 10 p.m. and lasted past three in the morning.”
Napoles, who is confined at Fort Santo Domingo in Santa Rosa, Laguna, for charges of serious illegal detention, is the alleged brains in the multibillion pork barrel scandal.
Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago had earlier told Napoles through a radio interview to tell the truth if she wishes to become a state witness.
Santiago issued the call after Jessica “Gigi” Reyes returned to Manila after an 8-month sojourn outside of the country. She left in August 2013 at the height of the investigation of the controversy.
In Malacanang Palace, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said the government was hands off on the case and left the decision to the justice department.
“It is the Department of Justice' responsibility to continuously study and find out the evidence or proof that ought to help facilitate the cases before the Office of the Ombudsman,” Coloma said.