- Posted April 22, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Breaking news: Share your story
Steve Hofmyer American Music Tour
Playing? Yes. Last time the tour was interrupted at the embassy! Visa trouble. But I’ve had wonderful trips to the USA over the years. I also recorded in LA once, saw plenty theatre in NY, met a crazy scientist in Jersey, lost sum in Vegas, bought road signs at Graceland and saw Neil Diamond in LA.
2. Are you doing any of your great songs in English? Yes, much of the show is English but very nostalgic if you’re South African.
3. Most of my Afrikaner friends in Chicago are excited about you coming here! Your opinion: has the mass exodus of white Afrikaans from political woes, opened possible new audiences for you in these countries your touring? Yes. It’s not my first trip around the world compliments of a woeful South African government. I meet SA expats in NZ, OZ, Dubai, Holland, London, Canada and now, the States.
4. Have the murders and the large amount of White Afrikaans leaving South Africa effected your audiences in attendance there in South Africa ? I ask because I know you care about your fans. I suppose my audiences have always grown steadily as I aged. More generations enjoy the music. But of late, I reckon my show has become a place some folk come to to know that sanity prevails and to know that they are not alone in this and to hear that their losses are understood and screamed from the top of the mountains.
5. What's your favorite song on your set list? WE GOT TONITE by Bob Seger. And I still love doing my older hits like PAMPOEN, BLOUBUL, LAASTE LAG, KYK HOE LYK ONS NOU, etc. I won’t have the band, but the guitar is there for anybody to request what they need to hear.
6. So are you getting to see the sites in-between shows? After seeing the tight schedule, I doubt I’ll be taking in many tourist sights. Which is a pity. But I’ll come back as a tourist to places I liked. And I need to test your braai skills, Ed.
7. If you could stop somewhere too see a tourist attraction what would be your choice? I’d love to see the south, New Orleans, the lakes (Tahoe would be good). But then I have not seen any of the cities I’m playing. Even though we don’t know what to expect, I’m extremely excited. Also to meet you. Lots of love to your wife who I know is not well.