- Posted April 24, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl lawmaker moves vs malnutrition
Rep. Eulogio Magsaysay said although a number of schools have come up with a school garden set up especially those situated in rural or sub-urban areas, a schools garden program has not been institutionalized in the country.
Magsaysay said there are efforts to have a school garden implemented in public elementary and high schools like the School Vegetable Project of the DepEd.
"This vegetable garden project is aimed to address malnutrition which affects one in every three public school children and to promote self-help food production activities and values appreciation of agriculture," he said.
One of the objectives of the school gardens program as stated under House Bill 3843 is to coordinate the efforts of public schools, the DepEd, the Department of Agriculture (DA) and other concerned government agencies and community organizations to establish gardens as integral components of public schools.
Another objective is to establish and convene a Garden Advisory Committee at the local levels, composed of community organizations and other interested persons.