- Posted April 27, 2014 by
- Ethiopian Broadcaster Fires 20 Journalists for “Narrow Political Views”
- Ethiopian Government jamming Arab Satellite Transmission
- Ethiopians in Sweden Condemned the mass killing of Oromia, Amhara and arrest of nine more journalists and bloggers .
- Ethiopian government uses telecom to spy on Opposition inside Country and Abroad
- Human Rights Watch :Transparency Group Should Reject Membership to Ethiopia
Ethiopian Security forces arrest nine bloggers and a journalist in latest crackdown on opposition voices.
Friday morning April 25 2014 it is really a sad day to ethiopia. The Ethiopian government has arrested six independent bloggers and a journalist in what human rights group Amnesty International has called a "suffocating grip on freedom of expression".
nine members of independent blogger and journalists ( Befeqadu Hailu, Atnaf Berahane, Mahlet Fantahun, Zelalem Kiberet, Natnael Feleke , Abel Wabela ,Asmamaw Hailegeorgis ,Tesfalem Weldeyes, Edom Kassaye,.) group ‘Zone 9’ and a prominent Ethiopian journalist were arrested on Friday in the capital Addis Ababa.
All nine bloggers were arrested at night by armed security forces and taken from their homes to the Federal Police Crime Investigation Sector ‘Maikelawi’, where political prisoners are alleged to be held in pre-trial, and sometimes arbitrary detention.
The Zone 9 group who are said to be very critical of government policy and have a strong following on social media had temporarily suspended their activities earlier this year after accusing the government of harassing their members.
"The Ethiopian government is tightening its suffocating grip on freedom of expression in a major crackdown which has seen the arrest of numerous independent, critical and opposition voices over the last two days", Claire Beston, Ethiopia researcher at Amnesty International, said.
These arrests appear to be yet another alarming round up of opposition or independent voices.
click here Read the full report online from amnesty international