- Posted May 1, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Phl official: Create jobs this Labor Day
Baldoz urged employers participating in these job fairs to improve their hiring rates, as a way of helping jobseekers, especially the fresh graduates, land their first jobs.
“We will be gratified if employers participating in our job fairs on Labor Day can improve their hiring rates and increase the number of applicants hired-on-the-spot (HOTS),” Baldoz said.
She urged employers to be a little flexible in considering “near hires” or applicants who is “nearly fit” for a job, but may be lacking in one or two qualifications that can be compensated by an applicants’ other strong points.
“A ‘near-hire’ applicant, if given the chance, might quickly learn or acquire a ‘missing qualification’ if he/she is already on the job or may be through a short training,” she said.
Baldoz said improving hiring rates is possible because the labor department and its regional offices have announced early and extensively their job fair schedules using all available media and she had directed them to conduct advance registration and screening of applicants.
“In the 2013 Labor Day Jobs Fair, a total of 20,905 applicants were HOTS and 96,838 have qualified. This, out of 127, 880 total number of registered jobseekers,” Baldoz said, emphasizing that the DOLE has remained consistent with its annual target of 15 percent HOTS out of the total number of qualified applicants.