- Posted May 12, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
3.9 million Filipino families are poor
Presidential Communication Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. disclosed that all concerned government agencies are now moving towards poverty reduction and social protection.
“If we look at the 2014 national budget, the big chunk of this -- more than 37 percent -- is allotted to poverty reduction and social protection,” Coloma said.
He noted that figures from the Philippine Statistics Authority, National Statistics Office, and National Economic Development Authority show that the incidence of poverty in the country has decreased to 24.9 percent in 2013 from 27.9 percent previously.
Coloma further said that even the SWS surveys show a decline in poverty.
An SWS survey done in December 2013, showed that 18.1 percent of respondents were suffering from hunger. The figure decreased to 17.8 percent, or 3.9 million Filipino families, in the recent survey, which was conducted last March 27 to 30.