- Posted May 14, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Philippine Senate lauds women heroes
Senate Resolution No. 628, introduced by Senator Loren Legarda, seeks to recognize the role of women in nation-building. The resolution was unanimously approved by 21 senators present during the session.
Legarda said the 10 awardees were recognized by the Soroptomist International of the Philippines for their dynamic and pro-active work in the fields of education, financial literacy, good governance and gender equality, among others.
The awardees are Elsie Cabral, Rosalia Cervantes, Sylvia de Leon, Olivia Lucas, Emily Lundang, Marilou Portacio, Adelina San Miguel, Fe Tolentino, Julieta Torres, and Crispina Zafra.
"For actively participating in community work and inspiring others to do the same, it is only proper that these awardees be recognized for making use of existing resources at their dismissal in order to serve the marginalized members of our society," Legarda said in her resolution.
The Unsung Women Heroes Awards was first awarded in 2009. It aims to recognize women who take an active role in improving the lives of fellow Filipinos through their work at the grassroots level.