Share this on:
 E-mail
42
VIEWS
0
COMMENTS
 
SHARES
About this iReport
  • Not verified by CNN

  • Click to view geoffrey17's profile
    Posted May 18, 2014 by
    geoffrey17
    Assignment
    Assignment
    This iReport is part of an assignment:
    The Africa we don't see

    More from geoffrey17

    Troops in fresh shoot out with Boko Haram in Borno.

     

    ?Insurgents killed, six soldiers injured.

     

    For about two hours yesterday, soldiers were locked in a fresh shoot-out with Boko

    Haram insurgents on the Damaturu-Benishek-Maiduguri road.

    Benishek was the scene of a massacre by Boko Haram in 2013.

    Over 100 residents were killed in that attack.

    An unknown   number of insurgents were shot dead in yesterday?s encounter.

    Six soldiers were wounded.

    The Defence Headquarters has deployed more troops to the area to guarantee safe

    passage for travellers.

    The insurgents had, at about noon yesterday, attempted to take-over the  road.

    Security agencies were contacted and troops were immediately drafted to the area.

    What followed was a gun battle between the soldiers and the insurgent.

    A reliable military source said: ?Our troops engaged the Boko Haram insurgents on

    Saturday in fierce counter-attacks. Some of the insurgents fell but only six soldiers

    were injured. The encounter lasted about two hours.

    ?The insurgents had planned to block access to Yobe State from Maiduguri but we

    foiled this bid. We are suspecting that these insurgents were trying to relocate to

    Yobe State which has remained calm for a while.

    ?You know the heat has been on the insurgents in Borno State where they have been

    restricted to Sambisa forest and some border towns with Cameroon. They are

    looking for safe ends to operate.?

    Responding to a question, the source added: ?I cannot give you the specific number

    of the insurgents that were killed because we are still mopping up the area. Six

    soldiers were however wounded.?

    The claim could not be independently verified.

    More troops have however been  deployed in the axis to guarantee safe passage for

    travellers.

    The source said: ?Besides air patrol, troops are also on the trail of the fleeing

    insurgents. Benishek-Damaturu route has been a major part where Boko Haram

    managed cells.

    ?It was from the same axis that the insurgents invaded the Air Force base in

    Maiduguri. You can now see why we asked for the extension of the emergency rule.?

    The Yobe State Government last week rejected the extension of Emergency Rule in

    the state by President Goodluck Jonathan.

    In a statement by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Press Affairs and

    Information, Abdullahi Bego, said the state of emergency has not stopped the

    insurgents from carrying out attacks.

    He said: ?For instance, over the six months of emergency rule and later over the

    second, we have seen some of the worst attacks by Boko Haram in Yobe State.

     

    The Nation

    Posted by Geoffrey Oguguo

    • TAGS:

    • GROUPS:

    What do you think of this story?

    Select one of the options below. Your feedback will help tell CNN producers what to do with this iReport. If you'd like, you can explain your choice in the comments below.
    Be and editor! Choose an option below:
      Awesome! Put this on TV! Almost! Needs work. This submission violates iReport's community guidelines.

    Comments

    Log in to comment

    iReport welcomes a lively discussion, so comments on iReports are not pre-screened before they post. See the iReport community guidelines for details about content that is not welcome on iReport.

    Add your Story Add your Story