- Posted May 19, 2014 by
This iReport is part of an assignment:
Travel photo of the day
- 300,000 Christmas Lights with Seaside Themes on the Oregon Coast, 50,000 Visitors from 45 Countries, My Visit
- Oregon's Most Photographed Lighthouse 90 mph Gusts in Windstorm, My Story
- Huge Wild Rhododendrons Celebrated at Florence, Oregon Festival - Slideshow
- Famous Lighthouse $1.3 Million Makeover
- Tsunami Surges on Florence Oregon Beach
Historic Seaport Village Attracts Thousands With Rhododendron Festival
Thousands from the Pacific Northwest and beyond joined locals on May 16-18, 2014 in Florence, Oregon to celebrate the Spring blooms of the enormous, colorful Rhododendrons that bloom in the wild everywhere.
The Old Town Florence village along the Siuslaw River on the Oregon Central Coast was briefly a hive of activity.
Historic ships in the port, the Rhododendron Flower Show, an All American Parade, Vintage Cars, a Motorcycle Show and plenty of music, food and other activities entertained visitors from all over.
The huge Rhododendron blooms can be up to 12 inches in diameter and bloom in clusters for a stunning display everywhere in the town and surrounding wilderness.
Florence, Oregon residents live in a temperate Mediterranean climate which the wild Rhododendrons love.
After the rainy winters the gigantic Rhododendron blooms throughout the wilderness around the town and along the roads are a special Spring welcome.