- Posted May 21, 2014 by
Philippine governor dethroned!
Voting 7-0, the Commission en banc upheld the decision of the poll body's First Division on September 26 last year that Ejercito spent beyond P4.5-million campaign funds or P3 for each of the 1,525,522 registered voters in the province.
Poll chairman Sixto Brillantes noted that the decision was unanimous and there is no doubt about their ruling since nobody dissented.
“The voting was unanimous. 7-0. So there is no doubt with our decision since there is no dissenting (opinion),” he said.
Brillantes added: “This morning, we arrived at a decision affirming the decision of the First Division to unseat Ejercito as governor of Laguna having overspent above and beyond what is allowed by law.”
The poll body has given Ejercito five days to appeal and ask for a temporary restraining order (TRO) before the case is considered as final and executory.
“We are giving him five days within which to run to the Supreme Court (SC) and secure a TRO. Otherwise, we shall be constrained to implement the decision after the lapse of five days,” Brillantes said.
Brillantes stressed that the law of succession will apply, which means Vice Governor Ramil Hernandez will be taking oath as Laguna governor to succeed the disqualified local official.
The disqualification case was filed by Edgar San Luis, Ejercito's closest rival in the gubernatorial race.
Brillantes said the disqualification of Ejercito is just the administrative aspect of the case against him.
“The criminal aspect has to go to our Law Department for further investigation. That's a different case,” he concluded.