About this iReport
  • Not verified by CNN

  • Click to view DilokSiam's profile
    Posted May 22, 2014 by
    Bangkok, Thailand
    This iReport is part of an assignment:
    Thai military declares coup

    More from DilokSiam

    The most peaceful military coup on earth.




    Bangkok, Thailand, May 22, 2014 --- Thai Army Club, Viphavadi, 16:35 PM, there was a report circulating around in the news medias corp that the ongoing meeting between the Army Chief and the 7 groups representing the caretaker government, independent organization, Senate, political parties, pro and anti-government movements, was having an intermission.

    It turned out the Army Chief was observed leaving the premise and on his way to the 1st Army Division, the King's Guard. He was accompanied by all the chiefs of armed force branch.

    16:40 PM, the reporters were waiting to interview those involve in the meeting. They were startled and surprised to see 3 GMC Military Vehicles moved rapidly into places, blocking all exit and entrance to the club. There were two more vehicles blocking the intersection leading to the Media Building and Viphavadi Road exit.

    Soon after, fully armed and in large numbers, infantry moved in and demanded all the news media personnel to go wait for the Army Chief's announcement in the Media Building.

    Most of the news person objected and requested to stay in the same location. The Army called for more enforcing power which succeed in moving all reporters further distance away from the roadway.

    From the parking garage under the Club's main building, there came a column of 5 white vans with no license plate, moving past the front of the building and toward the reporters.

    There was some congestion and the column has to stop. Some reporters approached and surrounded a van to find out who were it's passengers.
    In every van there are armed soldiers.
    The first van carried the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), better known as the Redshirts, core leaders. Some reporters reported that they were blindfolded with black bandana, guarded by soldiers.
    The second van carried the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) leaders, Suthep Thaugsuban, Sathit Wongnongtoey and Ekanat Promphan, reportedly under soldiers guard but without blindfold.
    While the van was not moving the reporters can clearly see Mr.Thaugsuban and immediately approach him, shouting questions for him to shed some light on the confusing situation.
    The soldiers put a stop to all the proceeding and shield Mr.Thaugsuban away from cameras' view.
    More soldiers from the 2nd cavalry then enter the area, heavily armed, and effectively control and segregate the medias to a preassigned area.
    There was no confirmed report regarding the situation of other involved in today's meeting. Democrat and Pheu Thai Parties' representatives, some Senator, Minister and Election Commission. None of their telephone is on line.

    The Meeting
    At the opening, Gen.Prayuth Chan-o-cha gave all sides opportunity to present the solution he had requested on the previous day. Everybody still consider his or her own way as the best for the country. There seem to be at the dead end with no agreeable way of compromising.
    At that point, the Army Chief called for an adjournment and suggested the UDD and the PDRC met among themselves in another room for about 45 minutes.
    Afterward he invited Mr.Prompan (UDD) and Mr.Thaugsuban (PDRC) to meet with him personally. The three only talked for about 1 minute before returning to the main meeting.
    Gen.Prayuth then asked Mr.Chaikasem Nitisiri, head of the Ministry of Justice, representing the caretaker government to confirmed the standing point of his administration, never to resign.
    Mr.Nitisiri answered that “as of now” the government will not resign.
    The Army Chief then said, “As of now, I decide to take over the power to govern”.
    He then requested the Senate and Election Commission representatives to leave the meeting. They were not under any detainment but were asked to remain, for the time being, in the area of the Army Club until the place is free of non-involving persons and properly secured.
    The rest of the meeting participants were then detained and led to a designated place.

    The names of the detainees ----
    Government --- Chaikasem Nitisiri, Varathep Ratanakorn, Sermsak Pongpanitch, Chatchart Sittipan and Tanusak Lek-U-tai.
    Democrat Party --- Abhisit Vejjajiva, Juti Krailerk, Sirichoke Sopa, Nipit Intarasombut and Chamni Sahdhiseth.
    PDRC --- Suthep Thaugsuban, Sathit Wongnongtuey, Ekanat Promphan, Sombat Thamrongtanyawong, Somsak Kosaisuk.
    UDD --- Jatuporn Prompan, Nattawut Saikeu, Tida Tavornseth, Viraharn Musikapong, Kokaew Pikulthong
    17:26 PM --- The army led all media personnel out of the club.
    17:30 PM --- Supachai Somchareon, head of the Election Commission, in a telephone conversation with reporters, said that he was still not able to leave the Army Club area. He added that he and his colleagues and some senators were not under any detention. He also said the situation seem peaceful with no sign of any serious confrontation. As for the Election Commission, his opinion is one of wait and see. If the Constitution is suspended then all independent organization must also stop functioning.
    17:40 PM --- Soldiers searched Mr.Jatuporn Prompan, head of the UDD (Redshirt), and found 4 guns, 1 knife and a transceiver radio equipment. The Army then clear the Club area of all news media.

    Add your Story Add your Story