- Posted May 28, 2014 by
- Azerbaijani journalist Khadija Ismayilova sentenced to 7.5 years in prison
- The judge did not allow Khadija Ismayilova to complete final word
- Azerbaijan`s Qarabag FC qualifies for Europa League group stage
- Odessa governor joins cadets at Police Academy
- Court Sentenced Leyla Yunus to 8.5 Years, Arif Yunus – to 7 Years in Prison
Azerbaijan marks Day of Republic.
- zdan, CNN iReport producer
Still, the Azerbaijani people never gave up and continued to struggle for freedom and independence.
The 20th century became known in history not only as the age of science and technology but also as the age of liberation from colonization and the establishment of national states.
The 1917 Russian Revolution put an end to the rule of the Romanovs and the saw the collapse of the Russian Empire. Shortly thereafter, on May 28, 1918, patriotic leaders in Azerbaijan founded the Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan.
The Day of the Republic - the day of regaining state independence has been celebrated as a state holiday since 1990.
Photo by Aziz Karimov