- Posted May 31, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
Village chief to administer President's oath?
"This is in recognition of the very important role of the village chief in the political structure of government," said Rep. Salvio Fortuno of Camarines Sur, main author of HB 2729.
House Bill 1729 was passed by plenary by a vote of 195 affirmative with no negative vote and no abstention.
Fortuno expressed his appreciation to the support for the measure during plenary debates until its third and final reading approval last May 21st given by his colleagues, especially chairperson Marlyn Primicias-Agabas of the Committee on Revision of Laws who is also co-author of the measure.
HB 2729 further amends Section 41 of Executive Order No. 292, otherwise known as the Administrative Code of 1987, as amended.
Fortuno recalled the euphoria generated by the pronouncement after election in 2010 of then President-apparent Benigno Simeon Aquino III to take his oath before a village chief in his hometown in Tarlac has brought to the fore the issue as to whether or not the village chief can administer the oath to the highest official of the land.
"The great enthusiasm experienced by a village chief at that time had practically been doused with cold water when several legal luminaries expressed their legal views that the village chief has no power to administer oath.