- Posted June 4, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
P20M worth of drugs seized from couple in Phl
Emerson Margate, PDEA head in Northern Mindanao, Southern Philippines, said drug syndicates are now employing shipping couriers in the transport of illegal drugs in the country.
Emerson said the illegal drug was consigned to couple Taha Abdullah and Anisah, both of Orchids Home in Santiago Street, Iligan City. They were nabbed in Iligan City last Tuesday.
Abdullah is reportedly a village official in Batuan, Balabagan, Lanao del Sur province.
Emerson said the government agents have been stalking in a shopping center after an informant tipped of the shipment almost a week ago.
“Our operatives have been guarding and waiting for the claimants 24/7 until the suspects appeared last Tuesday,” Margate said.
The complexity of the drug syndicate operations these days is appalling, he said.
A few months ago, the PDEA also arrested a consignee in Cagayan de Oro City in the act of claiming an appliance, a television, stuff with shabu worth more than P 20 million, Margate added.
Like the illegal shabu recovered in Iligan, authorities are still establishing the origin of the illegal drugs since the suspects have yet to divulge information about the shipment.
An agent of the PDEA also disclosed that the drug syndicate has lawyers who would immediately come to the rescue of the suspects.
Margate said that the campaign against illegal drugs, especially with a highly organized syndicate, is a very difficult job. However, with the assistance and help of the community and concerned citizens, the PDEA could move on, he said.