- Posted June 7, 2014 by
- China to APEC: Push for free trade
- Obama: Subsidize clean energy production UNITED States President Barack Obama has urged governments to provide tax incentives for the production of clean energy, and to finance research and development for green initiatives. During a forum at the Asia-Pac
- Actions on Climate Change boost businesses - Obama
- PH president welcomes EDCA
- PH, U.S. to enhance defense alliance
China continues provoking Philippines?
“The chosen track that we have taken is that we do not respond to provocative action,” said deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte in an interview told the state-run dzRB Radio-Manila.
“We always exhaust the diplomatic channels as well as other legal means that can help us address this particular issue,” Valte said.
The palace official raised the issue after President Benigno Aquino III on Tuesday disclosed that he received reports of “developments in other areas within the disputed seas.”
“We’re not saying that they are exactly the same ships that were used in Mabini, but there seems to be similar ships at the very least in a feature… one is Gavin Reef, the other is Cuarteron Reef,” the President said.
Gavin Reef and Cuarteron Reef are low-tide features in the Spratly Islands.
The President said he also received photographs of the ships, describing them as “ships that can be used for reclamation.”
Valte revealed that the President has not confirmed if actual reclamation has started. She added that it is currently being assessed by the Department of Foreign Affairs.
“This is so that we can find out what the logical next step for us to do in light of the fact that we have already filed our memorial before the arbitral tribunal,” the spokesperson said.
She added: “We continue to push for the Code of Conduct.”